Two Moors Governors
Two Moors Primary School is a Foundation School.
The Governing Body last reconstituted on the 7th July 2015 and is currently made up of thirteen Governors, as listed in the Instrument of Government, with the following structure:
- 3 Parent Governors – nominated and elected by Parents
- 1 Local Authority Governor – nominated by the Local Authority, Devon County Council; and appointed by the Governing Body
- 1 Staff Governor – nominated and elected by the School Staff
- 1 Headteacher – appointed by virtue of their office.
- 2 Foundation Governors – appointed by the Tiverton Co-Operative Learning Partnership (TCLP)
- 5 Co-Opted Governors – appointed by the Governing Body
The Governing Body is part of the Leadership and Management of the School and exists to carry out its three core strategic functions:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the School and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the School and making sure its money is well spent1
The Governing Body delegates certain responsibilities to Committees; and the details are set out within their Terms of Reference.
The main Committees are as follows, along with a summary of their key roles:
- Teaching and Learning Committee – to oversee the educational performance of the School and report back to the Governing Body.
- APMC (Action Plan Monitoring Committee) – to oversee the School’s work on the School Improvement Plan; part of Teaching and Learning Committee, above.
- Resources Committee – to oversee financial, personnel and premises aspects of the School and report back to the Governing Body.
There are also Standing Committees which may be formed from eligible Governors as and when required. These are as follows, along with a summary of their key roles:
- First Committee – who may meet to make decisions relating to staff discipline, capability or grievance, where this has not been delegated to the Headteacher; to make decisions in respect of staff redundancies; or any other decisions in respect of staffing / HR procedures which are not covered by the Resources Committee.
- Second (Appeals) Committee – who may meet to hear an appeal against any decision made by the Headteacher or any Committee of the Governing Body; to hear a complaint in accordance with the School’s Complaint’s procedures; or to consider the decision of the Headteacher to exclude a pupil from the School, in accordance with the regulations governing exclusion.
- Performance and Pay Committee – who meet to review a Pay Policy for all members of Staff; to ensure that the appropriate arrangements for linking appraisal to pay are in place; and to annually review salaries.
- Headteacher’s Appraisal Panel – who meet to ensure that the appraisal is firmly linked to School Improvement and the agreed criteria in the performance objectives; to undertake review meetings; and to lead the Headteacher’s performance appraisal meeting with support from the external advisor.
In addition, the Governing Body may also appoint Lead Governors, who will have specified roles. This includes a Safeguarding Governor.
While the Governing Body may delegate functions to Committees, or in some cases individual Governors, the Governing Body as a corporate entity remains accountable and responsible for all decisions made1
How to contact the Governing Body:
If you require further information on any aspect of the Governing Body, please contact the Chair of Governors, Paul Hunt, via the School Office; or write to him via the School Address.
Two Moors Primary School
Tel: 01884 253006
1 DFE Governance Handbook October 2020